Monday, June 21, 2010

dickens and me




My daughter is reading Dickens' Bleak House for a summer class. This morning she read me a pronouncement from Dickens' character, Mr. Vholes, and suggested that I might have something in common with him:

"My digestion is much impaired, and I am but a poor knife and fork at any time. If I was to partake of solid food at this period of the day, I don't know what the consequences might be." -Mr. Vholes, Bleak House

I think I'll start pronouncing that at odd times of day, just for the fun of it. ;-)


4 comments:

Melanie said...

I think you should make that pronouncement, too.
As for your comment on my post, I don't know how you feel but I am sorry that you battle this health issue. I am sure there is a grief over loss of health. My mother deals with that also. Many more bad days than good for her. She also struggles with appetite and physically being able to eat at all.

S. Etole said...

The old ways of writing were so descriptive, weren't they.

Blessings of health for you and better days.

B. Meandering said...

Any particular reason for Bleak House? Just curious; it's one of the few of his that I haven't read.
So part of your chronic illenss is digestion issues. That goes along with fibromyalgia also. But when I stick to a Vegan diet, I feel so much better. I do allow myself farm fresh eggs from someone who I know and can trust as far as feed, etc. for the chickens.
That is a great way of saying it though--"I am but a poor fork and knife at any time. . " --that says it all.
Hope you're having a good health day.

♥ w o o l f ♥ said...

thank you, leslie, for your wonderful comments on my blog. no worries about the double (follow) deal. there's no way understanding technology to a T, i guess....
have a nice day.