Saturday, June 12, 2010

kiss and tell





Jane at Spain Daily recently asked us all to Kiss and Tell the names of our beloved pets. And since our Basenji dog is fully aware of her illustrious and ancient heritage (being descended from dogs who sat at the feet of Pharoahs) I felt she would be insulted with less than a full post. So here it is. Her pedigree name is Lady Bashasha Kijibwa, which, according to Google translator, means, "Lady, Friendly Little Dog". Unfortunately, a Kenyan friend recently told us that those words mean nothing. So much for Google translator.

Nevertheless, Lady, alias Ladybug, alias Bug, is a friendly little dog. And she is not named after the popular Disney character. She is named after the Basenji in a wonderful old book entitled, "Good-bye, My Lady," by James Street. (Also a wonderful old movie with the terrific character actor, Walter Brennan.)

She is a clever, naughty, funny, devoted friend. And I am not ashamed to "kiss and tell" that I kiss the top of her head many times a day. She is a Basenji, after all, and they smell like freshly baked cinnamon bread. No kidding.

9 comments:

Francesca said...

I would also kiss a dog that smelled of freshly baked cinnamon bread, never mind google translator!

jane said...

she is a beauty! i´d be kissing her all day too:) p.s. coco smells like doritos... i swear! hugs!

S. Etole said...

Beautiful photos and an elegant dog.

Dwight said...

Love the photos. Great movie too! I'd like to watch it again soon.

beth said...

what a beautiful dog you have.....seriously, just amazing and looks to be full of grace.

bigBANG studio said...

I LOVE basenjis! She certainly is regal, isn't she? Thanks for visiting me over at bigBANG. That was the hymn we sang at our wedding, "Joyful, Joyful" (set to "Ode to Joy"). So happy you appreciated it. Cheers!

Melanie said...

Pretty dog! Very noble looking.

Kay L. Davies said...

Cinnamon bread? Fabulous. Thank you for sending me the link to this page, Joy. I love Lady's story, although I can't help wondering about Google Translate. To think I use it to correspond with bloggers in Portuguese (which I don't know at all) and even Spanish, which I know only a little. Maybe I'm saying nothing? Tsk.
Lady is SO cute. Actually, she's beautiful. And I kiss my Golden Retriever who is not a smelly dog. She doesn't even have "dog breath" LOL.
Thanks again, Leslie.
--Kay

Joybird said...

Ladybug is adorable. Dalmatians smell sweet, too, They smell like cuddles feel.