Saturday, July 3, 2010

4th of July dog



My tummy hurts. In fact, my abdomen feels like it's being held in a vice. I'm weak from being sick and weak from not eating right, and I'm anxious about whether this attack will be the one that ends in yet another bowel obstruction and yet another surgery. And it's a holiday, and people all over America are making plans to picnic and watch fireworks and enjoy their families, while I sit quietly, praying for respite. Yet I know that there are others, like me, experiencing illness and sorrow and pain. Others who wish they could enjoy this Independence Day free from the shackles of sickness or grief or hardship. And so I pray for them, too. I pray that we all can be held in the love and presence of God, that we all can know His touch of comfort or healing or grace to help in our time of need.

And I laugh. I look at my silly little dog in her 4th of July collar and laugh.

I guess that's grace, too.

5 comments:

S. Etole said...

Those are such loving eyes ... hope you are soon better.

♥ w o o l f ♥ said...

get better, yeah? seems like the dog knows the way... :)

n a t s u m i said...

Beautiful dog! I really hope you are feeling better soon. Hope you have a relaxing weekend..

Melanie said...

Ah Leslie, I pray that your Independence Day will prove to be exactly that...freedom from physical pain.
While I have not experienced chronic illness...I have seen it in Mother and it is a tester.
Praying as soon as I click "post comment."

Melanie said...

Cutie patootie pup!