Saturday, July 24, 2010

summer movies



I love summer movies. There's just something about sitting in a cool, dark theatre on a sweltering day and waiting for the magic to begin. Lately movies have been a little long on self-importance and a little short on magic, at least in my humble opinion. So I was pleasantly surprised that someone in Hollywood decided to deliver a little old-fashioned fun for us this summer.

I loved Knight and Day (and I'm not a big Tom Cruise fan.) But he did a great job of spoofing himself in this flick, and Cameron Diaz was gorgeously hilarious. The movie was clever and fun, in the tradition of grand Hollywood adventures.

And this afternoon I saw the Karate Kid re-make, with Jackie Chan and Jaden Smith. I didn't realize it was filmed in China. Some of the scenery was really beautiful. So is Jaden Smith. He is just a beautiful child. (Although he probably wouldn't want to be thought of as either beautiful or a child.) And he must have worked really hard to play the hero. His Kung fu training looked pretty brutal. Jackie Chan is the Fred Astaire of martial arts. His stuff is always so creatively choreographed. I didn't expect to enjoy this movie as much as I did, which is why I waited until its last run in our local theatre to see it. But I was pleasantly surprised.

I walked out of both these movies happy and relaxed. And that's just how I want to feel after a summer matinee.

8 comments:

n a t s u m i said...

That sounds great to me too!! I haven't seen the movies you mentioned...I am so curious to see them!! I haven't been to a movie theater for a while.. It's a good time to go there to see a great movie and cool down a bit!

Hope you have a great weekend!

S. Etole said...

Now I want to see a movie AND munch some popcorn!!

Elisabelle said...

I love going to the movies in summer!
And I am sure that when my son will come back from his holidays, he will want to see karate kid!
Have a beautiful Sunday!

Debbie D. said...

I wish we lived closer so we could movie watch together!

I took my friend's 9 year old to see it in Gainesville, so Christa came and joined us. Reluctantly since she wasn't thrilled to go see Karate Kid.
Her quote at the end of the movie: "I'd like to meet him when he's twenty-five!" Lol

We all enjoyed it more than we expected :)

We enjoyed the movie more than we expected.

Debbie D. said...

oops... to early to comment. I didn't realize I had the last sentence twice LOL

B. Meandering said...

My husband and I hoped to catch Knight and Day when I was in Cinci, but ran out of time. I still hope to see it on the big screen.

I haven't seen the Karate Kid remake, but I watched an episode of The View several months ago. Jaden was on there and he seems really 'together'---he spoke about the roles both his parents play in his life--sounds and looks like they're doing a great job.

I'm glad you got to go and enjoy yourself at the movies. :)

Emily said...

Hi. Thanks for your kind comments on my blog :)

And I LOVE going to see movies too!

Melanie said...

I don't like to go to movie theaters b/c I like to watch movies in my pajamas...and I need lots of breaks.
Audra and I recently watched a couple of good movies (I like comedies.) but I can't for the life of me remember the names!