Tuesday, August 3, 2010

bavarian sugar cookies



This is basically going to be a post full of "borrowed" images and equally "borrowed" prose. But I think you're going to like it. I liked this soliloquy so much that I painstakingly copied every bit of it into my personal journal after watching the DVD of the movie, "Stranger Than Fiction," written by the very talented Zach Helm.

"Sometimes, when we lose ourselves in fear and despair, in routine and constancy, in hopelessness and tragedy, we can thank God for Bavarian sugar cookies — and fortunately, when there aren't any cookies we can still find reassurance in a familiar hand on our skin, or a kind and loving gesture, or a subtle encouragement, or a loving embrace, or an offer of comfort, not to mention ... uneaten danish, and soft-spoken secrets ... and maybe, the occasional piece of fiction.

"And we must remember that all these things — the nuances, the anomalies, the subtleties which we assume only accessorize our days are in fact here for a much larger and nobler cause. They are here to save our lives. I know the idea seems foolish. But I also know that it just happens to be true."

And you, dear family, dear friends, dear fellow bloggers and fellow readers, are a part of that truth. So thank you for being my Bavarian sugar cookie today.


6 comments:

Jodi said...

Good gravy! We are kindreds! I love that movie, and those words make me bawl like a baby everytime.

Francesca said...

Nice post. I also have my bavarian sugar cookies:)

S. Etole said...

and you are one of ours ... for which I thank you

B. Meandering said...

I second Susie--you're one of our Bavarian cookies.
I have never seen this movie---I guess I'm missing out, right?

Also ---talk about dedication, writing that down in your journal and then typing it here---cool and endearing.

carlotta said...

love this post! very sweet :)

Emily Young said...

One of my favorite movie quotes... and I love the photo of the yummy cookie. You're my number one Bavarian sugar cookie : )