Friday, August 6, 2010

the good, the bad, and the ugly




A few things you may not know about me:

1. I'm Irish and Norwegian, but the Irish part usually wins out. Sometimes this is not a good thing. (Ever heard the phrase, "Irish temper?")

2. I used to play the oboe.

3. I watch scary parts in movies (when you can get me to watch a scary movie) peeking out of a slit in my fingers with my hand over my eyes. (And why do I feel this helps?)

4. I love twinkle lights.

5. My favorite drink is Twinings English Breakfast tea with milk and honey.

6. I hate the sound of people crunching popcorn and crinkling candy wrappers in the quiet moments before a movie starts. It makes me cringe. (I am not proud of this idiosyncrasy.)

7. I love summer thunderstorms.

8. I once made spaghetti pancakes for breakfast from a health food recipe. They were completely disgusting.

9. I wish I could take back every mean word I've ever uttered.

10. I love colorful scarves, the smell of lavender, Florida summer skies, dark chocolate, and indie music. Also coats and blazers. Which I need like a hole in the head (as my mother would say) in Florida.


12 comments:

Jodi said...

I'm Irish, too. That's why I can tell this joke - do you know what Irish Alzheimer's is? You only remember the grudges :) I hope this doesn't offend anyone...if so, then ditto on #9

During scary parts of movies, I put my fingers in my ears and hum. Wouldn't shutting my eyes be more effective?

I also love twinkle lights, and I love that in New Zealand where my daughter lives, they're called fairy lights.

Spaghetti pancakes do sound disgusting, but spaghetti pie is very good.

I'm always nervous while cruching popcorn and opening candy wrappers in movie theatres, because I'm always imagining there's someone there hating me for it ha ha

Enjoyed getting to know you, Leslie.

Elisabelle said...

It's great to know more about you!!!
And I love the smell of lavender too:)

♥ w o o l f ♥ said...

well...
twinings WITH milk and honey... very channel-ly (by which i mean british,and irish, i mean european coastal... you know? kgoh - do i make sense?)
but hey? i love your list. makes you more visible, huh?
well done. :)

Carrie Link said...

Thanks for finding my blog! I love your list! But, um, spaghetti pancakes? Ewww!

~Debbie D. said...

We ARE kindred spirits...
except for the
- Norwegian part,
- and oboe part (sidenote: I remember you playing for the children as their eyes were closed, and they would them say what they "saw" in their mind as you played your oboe. Beautiful!
- ditto on the scary movie part... it helps!!!
- I have a different favorite drink :) Unsweet Tea-fresh brewed
- spaghetti pancakes (I can't even imagine)
- And regarding the coats: my sister was just here from Jersey. I showed her my coat closet by the front door. Jammed packed with coats of every variety. All belonging to me. Why??? Because I love coats. It gave her a good laugh. "In Florida," she says!

~Debbie D. said...

oops on the oboe part...
"...and you would have them say..."

natsumi nishizumi said...

I love the smell of lavendar too! I grow lavendar on my balconey. There are some lavendars on the dinning table. The purple color makes me relax..
Hope you are having a great weekend!!

emily wierenga said...

oh, you are lovely. i love knowing you. and yes, scarves are delightful :)

rebecca said...

leslie....
thank you so much for your lovely words on my thursday prose....
i have been away teaching and only just returned, so my thank you is over due.
i look forward to more thursdays and knowing you.
warmly,
rebecca

Tracy said...

We have so much in common, Leslie! This list could be my own... expect for the scary movies, I just don't do those... LOL! My heritage is very mixed--English, Irish, German, Swiss... But no Norwegian. But my hubby is Norwegian. I love when you share bits of Norway in comments at my photo blog. I'm a scarf girl too--the more the merrier, the more color, the better! :o) Happy Day ((HUGS))

keLi said...

love the scarf you're wearing in that photo. do you knit?

and twinkle lights -- how i long to be brave enough to drape the house in them year round. imagine? coming home to that...

Dianne said...

Wow... numbers 3, 4, 5 (minus the milk and honey), 7, 9 and 10 also describe me! I'm also Irish, but mixed with Scot and Native American. So glad to meet you.