Wednesday, August 25, 2010

morning star



"And we have the word of the prophets made more certain, and we would do well to pay attention to it, as to a light shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in our hearts."


—2 Peter 1:19.


I've been thinking about the second part of that verse. Someday, for all of us who believe, the day will dawn. A new day, a day when all death and mourning and crying and pain will have passed away. A day when Jesus says He will give us the morning star (Revelation 2:28). And He is the Morning Star (Revelation 22:16).


When we wake on that new day, the morning star will rise, not in the heavens, but in our hearts. In our hearts. I can't fully grasp that. But somehow it makes me feel like there is something really beautiful coming. Something so glorious that all of our journeys through pain or sorrow or darkness or tribulation are nothing in comparison.


The Apostle Paul says this in Romans 8:18, "I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing to the glory that will be revealed in us."


What could be more glorious than the Morning Star rising in our hearts?




(joining hands with emily for imperfect prose, this thursday)



14 comments:

Brian Miller said...

that would be to spend eternity in his presence...and it will be glorious indeed...smiles. thanks for the ponder...

Kim Hyland said...

Thank you, Leslie. I hadn't paid attention to the "rising in our hearts" part. It's beautiful and hopeful and so like our Creator.

Manda said...

YES!!!! Wanting the morning star in me to bring Him glory!
Love that xo

Jodi said...

"What could be more glorious?" Nothing. And the beauty is that even now, we sit in heavenly places (Ephesians 2:4-6). Thank you, Leslie, this is beautiful.

Nancy said...

You spoke joy to my heart today. Thank you.

Misty said...

you are right: i can't quite grasp the intensity and wonder of that either.. that the morning star, he rises in ME on tha tnew day. wow! what a beautiful nugget you've gotten and shared today. i walk away blessed.

S. Etole said...

Thank you for bringing this to us in such a beautiful way ... and for blessing us.

emily wierenga said...

oh leslie, you GET IT. this makes me cry. and one day, friend--no more pain. hold onto that, today. as i do. your words are so anointed, friend. xoxo

Ruth said...

Such a beautiful description of that glorious day.
Thank you Leslie for sharing.

Thank you also for your comments. The C.S Lewis quote was so lovely.

Juliana @ Shakti Mama said...

Lovely ... I love what you say about not being able to fully grasp how the morning star will rise in our hearts. So profound and exhilarating ... to recognize divinity within.

Much love and peace.

Laura said...

This makes my heart skip a beat! Such mysteries, such beauty. I love to ponder them, don't you? Thank you for the blessings you sent me over at my place, I felt lifted by your words. from one rescuer of the winged creatures to another: many blessings to you!

Graceful said...

I am really needing to read this right now, Leslie, and I thank you so much for that. You bring me peace tonight.

keLi said...

i love this. that phrase, "morning star" is one that gives me pause. so amazing that the Word has power, but the writing has such beauty, too.

thanks for sharing this.

also: fabulous new profile picture! you look great, lady.

Alexis Hallum said...

This is beautiful. I stopped and thought about the day coming, and it humbled me.