Friday, September 17, 2010

scaffolding



"Scaffolding"
—Seamus Heaney

Masons, when they start upon a building,
Are careful to test out the scaffolding;

Make sure that planks won't slip at busy points,
Secure all ladders, tighten bolted joints.

And yet all this comes down when the job's done,
Showing off walls of sure and solid stone.

So if, my dear, there sometimes seems to be
Old bridges breaking between you and me,

Never fear. We may let the scaffolds fall,
Confident that we have built our wall.


(linking to The Essential Emily to share this poetry favorite today.)


10 comments:

Graceful said...

That is quite lovely -- I hadn't read that one by him before.

B. Meandering said...

I haven't read that one either. I like it. I also like the picture. I went ahead and posted a poem too:)

Elizabeth said...

Seamus Heaney is one of my favorite poets -- a line from one of his poems is the title of my book! I heard that he has a new collection out and can't wait to buy it --

Emily Young said...

I love it! Thanks for linking up with Poetry Friday : ) You have grand taste in poets...

Claudia said...

wow -love this!
and from the look on your face while he sculls you through the water, i bet the wall is well built!
have a great weekend!

Debbie D. said...

Absolutely love this! Poem (which at first I though your wrote...sounds like you) and the picture are perfect.

"Never fear" love that phrase :)

Debbie D. said...

Yii... I am tired...LOL

I meant to write... "I thought you wrote"...
..."and the picture is perfect"

LOL

I was up at 4:30 to go to work and I hit a wall around 2:00. I should not be commenting now!! lol

patty said...

beautiful prose! and great imagery!

Francesca said...

I hope to find that my walls are indeed solid.

S. Etole said...

what a serene scene ...