Thursday, December 16, 2010

little tree, by e.e. cummings






















little tree
little silent Christmas tree
you are so little
you are more like a flower

who found you in the green forest
and were you so very sorry to come away?
see      i will comfort you
because you smell so sweetly

i will kiss your cool bark
and hug you safe and tight
just as your mother would,
only don't be afraid

look      the spangles
that sleep all the year in a dark box
dreaming of being taken out and allowed to shine,
the balls the chains red and gold the fluffy threads,

put up your little arms
and i'll give them all to you to hold
every finger shall have its ring
and there won't be a single place dark or unhappy

then when you're quite dressed
you'll stand in the window for everyone to see
and how they'll stare!
oh but you'll be very proud

and my little sister and i will take hands
and looking up at our beautiful tree
we'll dance and sing
"Noel Noel" 

— e.e. cummings

14 comments:

Jodi said...

love this! How are you feeling this holiday season?

S. Etole said...

nice combination of thought and image ...

ELK said...

this is a new poem to me..thank you for sharing it with your lovely tree

Yolanda said...

Love this poem. I have never heard of it. I hope you have a lovely weekend.

Joyce said...

I like e.e. cummings! Have a golden one my friend.xo

becky at abbeystyle said...

ahhhhh, sweet!

Tracy said...

I don't think I've read this one before, oddly enough... so sweet! Happy Days, Leslie :o) ((HUGS))

jane said...

one of my favorites! and you nailed the dof!
happy holidays leslie!

Francesca said...

I like the image of the little siblings wondering at the magic of Christmas.

deb said...

I love this! I'd never read it before, thank you Leslie.

Dianne said...

Lovely...

Noelle Renee said...

One of my absolute favorite edward estlin cummings poems. I have read it and cherished it many times. I am happy to see it on your lovely blog. I wanted to tell you that I thought of you the other day, when I was writing to Jenny Stevning on her blog. I told her I had nowhere to go for Christmas and was feeling sad, but that I was working through those feelings. Her next post was this one as she too is a person of faith. The both of you have been working on my heart in different ways. I went to the Episcopal church for 10 years and was a Catholic growing up, non-denominational for a while. I guess once your heart has changed it never really goes back to the way it was before. You know what I mean. Anyway, here is her post. It really touched me as many of your posts do. http://jennystevning.blogspot.com/2010/12/strong-faith-brings-happiness.html She is a lovely person to follow.
xo,
Noelle

Noelle Renee said...

P.S. After I read her post, the next day, someone at work invited me for Christmas! I am going!
Noelle

♥ w o o l f ♥ said...

oh, but a little ee cummings.... works. always.