Tuesday, December 7, 2010

playing possum

Our little basenji dog has been inordinately interested in the back yard lately, especially at night. We call and call and she doesn't come and then we have to grab the big flashlight and march out there to pick her up and carry her in. 


Last night was no exception, except for the fact that cold has moved in and Lady was wearing her pink crocheted sweater (which she despises.) I was suiting up for a walk myself (we take 40 degree temps pretty seriously here in Florida) and suddenly realized the dog had been outside for a suspiciously long time. So I grabbed the flashlight, yelled to my daughter that "something's out there," and ventured forth into the dark.


Sure enough, a possum was curled up on the path at the far end of the yard, facing Lady down. As soon as Lady saw me with the flashlight, she took courage and lunged for the snarling creature. I kept a clear head, walked quickly and quietly over to the dog, picked her up, and carried her inside. No problem.


Except that's a lie. I lost my head when I saw those snarling teeth, visions of bloody, rabid dogs swirled through my head, and I started screaming and yelling. "LADY NO! NOOOOO!!! EMILY GET OUT HERE!" (Then Emily ran out and joined in the screaming.) "PICK HER UP!! NO,LADY, NO! AHHHHHH! NO! LEAVE IT! THERE IT GOES!! AHHHHH! PICK HER UP NOW!!! )


You get the general idea. I think the poor possum was scared witless. Our neighbor thought we were being murdered and was ready to jump the privacy fence to rescue us. And the dog just kept trying to get that possum to move so she could kill it. 


We eventually managed to get close enough to the dog (who was about 6 inches from those possum teeth) to pick her up. At which point the possum got up and slowly made his way through a crack in the fence and out of the yard. And our neighbor went inside to laugh his head off...



19 comments:

deb said...

HA!

I can so picture it. Perhaps because I would be doing the same thing.

( had a similar occurrence a few years ago with a skunk. it did not end well. )

and I am surprisingly okay. even in light of some recent developments. sigh. I think I'm in denial.

Anonymous said...

When you dress your dog up as a caped crusader...what do you expect? :)

beth said...

we are thick with possums around here and i always thought they were okay...and slow.....but someone told me last year they can be very vicious if they feel threatened....who knew ?

♥ w o o l f ♥ said...

i absolutely love the double kick to your story. you just made me laugh out loud, for i had a clear picture of both versions in my head, and well... cracked up, you know.
i mean, poor you's all together, and ps - I'd be scared witless!!!
now what does lady NOT like about that crocheted cape, i wonder?

S. Etole said...

But she looks so innocent!

LauraX said...

we had a similar incident last winter...we were dog sitting for our friend...so we had two dogs our standard poodle Ellie and her best buddy Muncie, the golden doodle...they were outside a very long time and then started barking...in they came and as we closed the sliding glass door a raccoon awakened by the two dogs was up against the glass and the two dogs pounding and howling on the inside...all trying to get at each other...I'd never seen a raccoon up so close...it was enormous and NOT happy to have been disturbed by the dogs...my goodness, what a fright! But all was well in a few minutes...just lots of paw marks on both sides of the window!!!

Graceful said...

Oh my, what a wild adventure! Possum give me the big-time creeps -- you are brave to get so close!

B. Meandering said...

FUNNY!
I have never thought of possom and fear at the same time, but then again I've never seen one threatened.
I think she's getting you back for the 'sweater' she has to wear.

Joyce said...

Are you sure it was your Lady? She looks so innocent. I would have actually done the same thing!! xo

Elizabeth said...

I'm laughing my head off! I would have done the same. I saw a possum walk across the yard the other day -- they really, really give me the willies --

becky at abbeystyle said...

...and now I'm laughing my head off! Great story-telling, Leslie! You made my day :)

Jodi said...

If ever a story could make me feel better, this one did. I must say, your pups looks so darned dignified in her Wonder Dog cape :)

Noelle Renee said...

That is the best darned "Playing Possum" story I have ever heard. I had not seen hide nor hair of you at Rebecca's blog so I moseyed on over here, worried about you to find your poor woebegone basenji wearing a "grandma sweater." Somehow I don't see King Tut hoisting one of those over his pup's shoulders but I could be wrong?? At any rate, I understand that possums are often armed and dangerous around the Christmas season so you did the right thing. Great story! I am glad you are okay!
xoxo,
Noelle

25BAR said...

Pets can be fantastic!

Tracy said...

Oh, my goodness, what a story, Leslie! How sweet & innocent she looks... And so pretty in her knitted coat too. ;o) Thanks for the laughs today. Happy Weekend ((HUGS))

Francesca said...

You know, I don't know what a possum is! But I'm glad when the wild animals stay in the woods and don't come too close to the house.

Rick said...

Ha ha Leslie - a great story - put a smile on my face.

We just finished having our attic cleaned out and all insulation replaced as a result of a possum intrusion in Nov.

Anonymous said...

So last month, my boyfriend and I were getting ready for bed and put his Akita out quicky. As the dog walked back into the house I noticed something large in his mouth (I thought it was a stuffed dog toy at first). That's when he plopped a live possum down on the kitchen floor. Once the possum realized the dog had walked away, it stopped playing dead and started running around the kitchen!!!!!!! It ran into the living room, so we put the dog gate up, amd then went around the house and opened the front door. This way, the possum was confined to one room and had a way out. Then, in boxer shorts, snow boots and with a broom, my BF proceeded to coax the mossum out from under the book shelf, until it ran around the room and out tr front door.

sherry said...

lol..does your dog fly also?