Wednesday, December 15, 2010

we do not grieve like those who have no hope...

Andrew Christopher Dorsey

April 25, 1997-December 15, 2009


My friend Melanie lost her son to brain cancer one year ago today. Andrew was twelve years old. The day he died, as I was weeping for the loss of his beautiful life, praying for his grieving family, and wondering if God was really real, if heaven was really there, if Andrew was really safe, these words came to mind:

"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, trust also in me. In my Father’s house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going." Jesus, John 14:1-4

I believe in God. And these words, written so long ago and preserved through the ages for us, reminded me on that day, one year ago, that God doesn't lie. "If it were not so, I would have told you."

So even though I am weeping for the loss of this precious life, and the grief of his family who misses him so, I am holding on to hope, with them. Andrew Christopher Dorsey is home today, in the place Jesus promised to make especially for him. 


16 comments:

emily wierenga said...

oh this is so hard. so very hard.

Elizabeth said...

Oh, what a beautiful boy. I have no words for such sorrow.

S. Etole said...

Some things are just beyond our understanding.

Melanie said...

Thank you, Leslie. Thank you for remembering our Andrew.

becky at abbeystyle said...

Oh, what a sad, sad event...a young boy like that leaving this earth and his family behind...the loss is tremendous!!!

So loving of you to mark the anniversary of his departure.

LauraX said...

Oh sweetie, I'm so saddened to read about this deep sorrow for your beloved friend, for you, for this gentle precious child...and trust too that he was a blessing passing through this world and his soul is resting joyfully in a place we cannot begin to fathom.

B. Meandering said...

What a darling! I'm sure that smile lit up the room and I can only imagine how much that smile and the boy wearing it is missed.
My heart-thoughts and prayers go out to your friends.

So caring of you to remember him and them. That is the one comfort we can give when someone loses a loved one---to remember the loved one.

Jodi said...

I could not imagine such a loss. May Jesus continue to comfort all of you. Hugs..

Can do mom said...

Leslie and Andrew's family,
I am so sorry for your terrible loss. While I have not lost a child, we lost our beautiful niece six years ago. It was devastating for the entire family. My daughters adored their older cousin who spent endless hours at frequent family gatherings playing with them. We still miss her.

I hope and pray that time will bring healing and sweet memories of your precious child.

Love and prayers to you.

Elisabelle said...

I think that's the most terrible thing that can happen....

Francesca said...

Sending warm thoughts to your friend Melanie.

ELK said...

this is a beautiful tribute to his life .. and the hope we have .. i know this is so difficult ..but those words from scripture ..such a comfort

Joyce said...

A wonderful post for a special boy. My heart goes out to his parents.

My friend lost her 17 year old son to brain cancer 4 years ago. I believe he was one of the angels who help me during my near moment.
Many hugs... xo

Graceful said...

Oh Leslie, I am so sorry for your loss and for Melanie's devastating grief, too. My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

♥ w o o l f ♥ said...

so thoughtful of you to remember your friend's son. that is touching.

Rick said...

So true - "we do not grieve like those who have no hope...". There is profound sadness when we lose someone close to us - and especially someone with his whole life in front of him. But we have hope that we will be reunited in the place where there are no more tears or pain.

So thoughtful a tribute, Leslie.