Tuesday, February 15, 2011

magpie tales: salt shaker

photo courtesy of tess kincaid












My dad and his brother called her "Margie Jo." She was statuesque and always laughing.
I remember her Thanksgiving dinners, the table set with tiny crystal salt and pepper bowls, doll-sized spoons resting on the edges. We gathered in that big old dining room in the house by the lake. All the chairs mismatched, and flow blue china on a faded yellow tablecloth, and brothers and sisters, cousins, aunts and uncles, talking loud, telling stories - SUCH good stories - and laughing and nobody getting a word in edgewise and the turkey wasn’t quite done so she sliced a bit off the top and put it back in the oven to finish and I couldn’t catch my brother’s eye to warn him about the salmonella but we never got sick and she was so young, so young even though she was sixty-five, but her eyes had that spark of mischief and pure JOY.

They're all there now, at the table - Larry, Kayo, Margie Jo. Laughing, shouting, telling tall tales. I know Aunt Marge has set a place for us.

linking to magpie tales

19 comments:

jabblog said...

I could visualise this scene so clearly - special memories of special people. Real or imagined? It doesn't really matter - it's lovely.

Brian Miller said...

smiles...and your remembra nce makes me think of sundays at grammas house

S. Etole said...

I have a salt shaker just like that ...

120 Socks said...

A lovely story, and I love people who stay young no matter what their age!

Jodi said...

Oh, I would've loved a seat at that table. But in a way, I know feel I have. You are blessed.

Claudia said...

i'm deeply touched by this last line..she was so young...i think it's so fantastic when we get old and still stay young...once more a reminder that age isn't a matter of age..

LauraX said...

makes me think of family stories too...so many sweet memories of Aunties and Uncles, Grandparents, Cousins, and Parents and Siblings...oh the joy!

Tumblewords: said...

A wonderfully nostalgic tale - love it!

sukipoet said...

a lovely scene

Noelle Renee said...

It is a wonderful little story. It reminds me of something out of Auntie Mame. Do you remember that lovely old film. A wonderful evening with family and just a nice rare slice of eccentricity. Makes the world go round don't you think. Lovely and imaginative. I love your new banner with the mist and fog.
xoxo,
Noelle

rel said...

Leslie,
How can we not love aunt Marge?
Mine was Aunt Nellie.
rel

becky said...

A picturesque piece, this! Delightful.

Joyce said...

your family gatherings at your aunts house added a smile to my day. I have some of these individual salt bowls and shakers I treasure. xo

Chrissy said...

I could here the laughter and joyous chatter and even smell the turkey! Thanks for the tasty read and good company!

Tess Kincaid said...

The world needs more Aunt Marges. Lovely thoughts.

Francesca said...

beautiful scene and lovely tale.

deb colarossi said...

I want to be Aunt Marge when I grow up.

Carrie Burtt said...

Such a lovely memory...and the joy has passed on to you! :-)

♥ w o o l f ♥ said...

BEAUTIFUL bit of prose, les. i'm devouring on it, and not just that underdone turkey. i can hear the insects' wings buzzing over that lake...
filmographic, dear (if ever the word exists, but i'm guessing you know what i mean)