Monday, March 21, 2011

Faith is the bird that feels the light
and sings when the dawn is still dark.
~Rabindranath Tagore


































"Hear my cry, O God;
listen to my prayer.
From the ends of the earth I call to you,
I call as my heart grows faint;
lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
For you have been my refuge,
a strong tower against the foe.
I long to dwell in your tent forever
and take refuge in the shelter of your wings.

Psalm 61:4

The dawn is still dark for the people of Japan. When everything has been stripped away, the singing bird of faith and hope often grows silent. Yet there are so many generous hearts, offering to awaken hope through the gift of a helping hand. If you want to reach out your hand, you might consider Shelterbox. Here is what they do, in their own words:

The ShelterBox solution in disaster response is as simple as it is effective. We deliver the essentials a family needs to survive in the immediate aftermath of a disaster. Each large, green ShelterBox is tailored to a disaster but typically contains a disaster relief tent for an extended family, blankets, water storage and purification equipment, cooking utensils, a stove, a basic tool kit, a children’s activity pack and other vital items.

To offer refuge until the disaster has passed. What better way to awaken hope? If you are interested you can donate directly to Shelterbox, or to a team that is raising funds to buy one or more shelterboxes for families in Japan.

10 comments:

Jodi said...

This is great,Les. We have several people in our church who have family in Japan. I know they are thankful for all the help received. Blessings <3

Elizabeth said...

I've been hearing so much about Shelterbox of late -- thank you for a beautiful post to go along with the information --

S. Etole said...

Thank you for this ... all of this.

ELK said...

off to visit the link as I have never heard of it ..but first may i just say what a priceless capture and one of my favorite Psalm verses

Noelle Renee said...

Leslie,
This is truly one of your most beautiful posts, filled with love and the contrast of the black and white with color is stunning along with the lovely psalm filling both heart and soul. Thank you for your kind mention of our team for ShelterBox. I know that the People of Japan are grateful for every box received. They are now asking for over 500 boxes in the North as I write.
Much Love,
Noelle

Joyce said...

A wonderful heartfelt post my sweet friend. xo

B. Meandering said...

A beautiful post from the beginning quote to the wondeful photo--this photo was just right for this---to the scripture written as a prayer. Lovely and your 'heart' comes through in this.

Thanks for the information. This makes sense to me. They certainly are organized. Is that team marked in your post a local one?

rebecca said...

dear leslie...thank you so much for your heartfelt post and support.

the team is from everywhere...through the love and friendship found in our blogging. for you to write and offer this welcome to your readers is to strengthen the circle of love. the donors names are appearing...perhaps we just know each other more from our blog names!

to offer tangible shelter for those in need is a great and wondrousness blessing for us all.

Duane Scott said...

I loved that quote you started with and the pictures of the birds. :)

And I want to thank you for your sweet words over at Susan Etole's site regarding my 2 year old nephew's death.

So many people praying truly does lift the burden.

Rick said...

Words of comfort from David. "Lead me to the rock that is higher than I".

Thank you for posting this, Leslie. We can all play a practical role in providing direct support to the people of Japan, even though we can't physically be there.

‘Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me.’