Friday, March 18, 2011

in which violet buys some earrings.



They were her new favorite earrings. She'd bought them out of insecurity over her new glasses, the ones with the red plastic frames. Somehow none of her delicate little stud earrings fit her new, indie look, and she wanted something different. 


They were hanging on a rack at a street fair, the first fair of spring. A crabby man with a yellowing beard was selling them, and he shouted at her when she asked him to repeat the price. "Do you want them or not?" She did. Even though he was rude and even though she was spending the last of her grocery money. Who needed food when you could wear turquoise and silver flowers dangling from your ears? She had plenty of cereal left, anyway.


Did the spring day have anything to do with it? The scent of orange blossoms was drifting over from someone's garden, mixing with lavender and patchouli from the herbal soap vendor. There was a faint salt tang in the breeze from the harbor. It made her feel rich; expansive. She wanted to stop and pet all the dogs and kiss the babies and hug the homeless lady dancing by the jazz band. She wanted to dance, herself, wearing her new turquoise earrings and her indie glasses. But she was too shy, so she contented herself with clapping for the homeless lady and tapping her feet to the music. And a lab came up and licked her hand.


Still, it was a grand day. A real keeper, as her father would say. At the moment she was even content with her name.


(read part three here, or click the label at the end of this post.)



17 comments:

Tamara @ Living Palm said...

everything about this post is lovely...thank you!

Rick said...

Violet seems like a free spirit bound in some unseen chains. The plot thickens ....

Jodi said...

Wow, you sure can weave a tale. You and Emily should write books. I mean it. I don't know how I missed the first installment. SO good! Glad you're back, and I like the new header. Hope you're feeling well. xo

♥ w o o l f ♥ said...

grand evocator of atmosphere, you are, dear. n♥

becky said...

What a delicious description of a moment in time...Violet is so like many of us...exquisite writing.

Emily Young said...

I like Violet. And her earrings. She has good taste.

LauraX said...

I am thoroughly enjoying reading more about Violet...you are on to something here Leslie!

S. Etole said...

a girl with a dancing heart ...

deb colarossi said...

Violet is someone I would love to meet.

( and I too am not sure how I missed the first part? )

and I really love those earring btw .

rebecca said...

i love to listen to you...

B. Meandering said...

Ahhh, is this a continuation from your post on the Magpie stories? If this is an indication of the wealth of words in your head, I hope you keep writing about Violet. You have made her real and very likeable.

Great work and imagination, Leslie--I'm smiling!

Francesca said...

I'm so glad you continued her story!

Tracy said...

I love Violet, and I lover her style in jewelry! ;o) You have as a vibrant way with words as you do with photo, Leslie--this was a joy to read! :o) Happy Weekend ((HUGS))

Deidra said...

I love every last little bit of this story. Go, Violet!

rebecca said...

dear one...thank you for your generosity. and these words...
"I long to dwell in your tent forever and take refuge in the shelter of your wings." Psalm 61:4

i have just posted a string of flowers you know and love..
happy spring!

Connie@raise your eyes said...

Oh, I like Violet very much...perhaps because I've made decisions to buy something fun over something necessary...

Melanie said...

I like it!