Thursday, April 28, 2011

in which violet finds the essence of florida...




















She stood by the sea wall, watching him. He glided smooth and swift through the bay waters, heading toward her then veering off to the south, towards the pier. A huge dark fin broke the surface about 5 feet from him, and she caught her breath, then realized it was a dolphin, not a shark. The dolphin seemed to be following him and as he gently slapped the water with his paddle it swam nearer and nearer, until he reached down and patted its back. She was fascinated. "That's so cool!" she shouted, and he shouted back,"Happens all the time. You should learn to paddle board."

THIS was Florida, she thought. Dolphins, and manatees, and stand up paddleboarding in the bay on a sunny afternoon.


(find part one of violet's little story here.)


12 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I've been dying to try paddle-boarding -- just too chicken! That photo makes me want to, though.

Emily Young said...

Violet should try paddleboarding next. Or maybe study marine biology.

Kay L. Davies said...

Dolphins are wonderful. Lucky Violet!
— K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Graceful said...

Fun! I clicked through to check out your Violet series. The earring reflection is my favorite -- nice work...Violet? ;)

B. Meandering said...

I like this new turn. Are they going to get together?! :) I know--that's a "Wait and see."

S. Etole said...

Her heart began to swim with new insight ...

ayala said...

It's wonderful when dolphins do that- I've had them playfully do that..love it!

Joyce said...

so magical and beautiful! xo

Debbie D. said...

What a picture you paint with your words...
and I sooo want to paddleboard!!

deb colarossi said...

I love this...
and I love how you just share little bits..

Rick said...

Reminds me of an old favourite - "You keep me hanging on ... !"

Francesca said...

Florida would be a cool place to be.