Monday, June 13, 2011

magpie tales: for my sister

photo courtesy of tess kincaid


My sister was brave, even as a small child. I was the oldest, but she was the bravest. From the age of seven she traveled alone on the plane all the way from Illinois to Florida, to stay a full month by herself with our grandparents. She did this every summer for many years. And grandma was scary - the original "tiger" grandma. Her house was immaculate, and woe betide a dust bunny who dared to trespass (let alone a small child with sandy feet.)

Somehow, my sister managed to not only get along with grandma, but thrive while she was there. She loved grandma's roses and the persian cat named Chan, and the glass jars filled with cookies in the big walk-in pantry. And she loved shell collecting.

She always found the shells nobody else could find. The perfect augers or whelks, points intact, stripes glistening. She was only seven, but she was patient. And she never gave up.

She's still like that. Give her a challenge, and she rises to the occasion every single time. She might be scared, but she marches forward anyway. My sister is a warrior. And she never stops looking for the treasures hidden by the tides of life.


linking to magpie tales

28 comments:

Shari Sunday said...

What a nice tribute to your sister. She sounds like a great sister to have in your life.

lilylovekin said...

what a wonderful post about your sister. I also have a sister who is brave, and my rock. I don't know what I would do without her.

mindlovemisery said...

Aww this is so sweet thank you so much for sharing these beautiful memories

Kay L. Davies said...

Wonderful story, Leslie. I hope this isn't fiction. I hope you really do have a sister like this.
Luv — K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Leslie said...

this isn't fiction :)

Elizabeth said...

beautiful tribute to your sister --

Tess Kincaid said...

This is beautiful. I have a younger sister very much like this.

♥ w o o l f ♥ said...

i sense the loooove, on this image strong piece.
n♥

Jinksy said...

never stop looking for the treasures hidden by the tides of life

Wonderful philosophy. :)

S. Etole said...

It sounds like she is a treasure as well ... that's a beautiful shell.

annell said...

Now, I would love to read what your sister might say about you?

Kristen Haskell said...

To all possess a little bit of that courage and as I age things are more meaningful and I actually stop and listen once and a great while. Lovely tribute to your sister.

Jingle said...

you remind me of my own sister.
well done.

sweet magpie to smile on.

Friko said...

A lovely tribute in simple and heartfelt words. No unnecessary embroidery, just your great affection shining through.

Loree said...

What a wonderful tribute to your sister.

Grammy said...

What a wonderful story. Your sister is just amazing. :)

Tumblewords: said...

A wonderful tribute to your sister!

Boonie S said...

You’ve painted a delightful word picture here.

All the best, Boonie

Helen said...

Your sister will love this ....

Other Mary said...

I envy your sister bond. Nice tribute.

LauraX said...

love this Les...well done!

ayala said...

Leslie, lovely and so blessed to have such a sister. I think she is blessed to have you too :)

Jodi said...

Wonderful! I agree you are blessed. I hope to catch up soon via e-mail.

deb colarossi said...

I love how you love.

and I'm jealous of the fact that you have a sister,
but am very grateful for all the blog sisters I have now.
like you

xoxoox

Lucy Westenra said...

You seem to have a lovely sister. Good fortune to you both.

ELK said...

she is lucky to have such a sweet sister like you ...love the shell!!

Catfish Tales said...

Just read your story and take on this mag - truly enjoying it too!

Bee's Blog said...

Lovely Mag. You have an obviously much treasured sister and it's lovely to read about her.