Monday, June 20, 2011

my ubiquitous friends








































If you have an aversion to small reptilian creatures, then Florida is probably not the place for you. We have an abundance of them, and they like to share our space. (usually not our indoor space, unless the cat has presented you with one as a trophy - but I digress.)


These creatures, sometimes brown, sometimes green, are not chameleons. They are known as anoles (this little guy is a Cuban Brown Anole, to be exact), and they're really quite harmless and entertaining. The Cuban Brown Anole can change color from brown to black, and the Green Anole can change from green to brown. Technically, they belong to the iguana family. They also eat bugs, which is a great boon to this mosquito-ridden place. I've grown quite attached to them, after living here all these years. 


Still can't get used to the tail-dropping-off-when-captured thing, though. Somehow the sight of that disembodied, wriggling tail brings back memories of childhood horror flicks.

16 comments:

HisFireFly said...

I quite like him!

We had a gecko that visited our guest room each night when we were in Uganda - it was like having a pet while we were away from home!

Olga said...

I adore these lizards. Your photo is beautiful, and the lizard looks very curious about what you are doing :)

Loree said...

Oh those are so cute. We have plenty of lizards here too. Or I should say reptiles.

Claudia said...

and think he's really cute...and as long as they're not inside the house...

Jodi said...

He's cute. I wouldn't mind having them around, but the tail thing would get to me, too.

Kay L. Davies said...

I posted photos a while back, of the condo tabby-cat in Canet-en-Roussillon, chasing a little lizardy critter like this. Its tail had been broken off, possibly by that same cat, and was in the process of regrowing. Fortunately for the critter, and for me, the tabby didn't catch it while I was taking pictures.
This one of yours is, indeed, a cutie.
— K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

lilylovekin said...

I like the little lizard, as long as it stays little!!

Deborah Carr said...

I love lizards...hmm...how might we set up a footprint-free food chain that allowed me to send our mosquitoes down to your lizards?

rebecca said...

so lovely against the blue!

Pierre BOYER said...

"Un visiteur surprise !"
Have a nice day,

Pierre

Rick said...

Ah yes, one of our first little 'guests' when we arrived in Florida last year. Friends of mine, but my wife prefers if they keep their distance. and their tails !

Nice shot of him/her - we're looking forward to getting reacquainted for a couple of weeks in August before we trek back for the winter in late October.

Francesca said...

I'm ok with all reptilian creatures, as long as they keep out of my house!:)

Pat Hatt said...

Nice pic, he'd be a welcome addition. As long as they don'thave big sharp teeth I wouldn't mind..haha

Corner Gardener Sue said...

We live in Nebraska. I can't remember what kind of anoles and lizards my son had for pets, as well as a number of snakes. The iguana he had was the one I was afraid of.

I like your photo.

Noelle Renee said...

I think he is sweet and much nicer than what has been crawling around my house lately but that is an entirely different story. My cousin used to collect all kinds of lizards so I got used to them. I used to put them into a trance in my hand by rubbing their tummies. Tummy trance we called it.
xoxo,
Noelle

♥ w o o l f ♥ said...

entertaining?
see like that!
n♥