Wednesday, June 1, 2011

the sandpiper, by celia thaxter

Across the narrow beach we flit,
One little sandpiper and I;
And fast I gather, bit by bit,
The scattered driftwood bleached and dry.
The wild waves reach their hands for it,
The wild wind raves, the tide runs high,
As up and down the beach we flit, --
One little sandpiper and I.

Above our heads the sullen clouds
Scud black and swift across the sky;
Like silent ghosts in misty shrouds
Stand out the white light-houses high.
Almost as far as eye can reach
I see the close-reefed vessels fly,
As fast we flit along the beach, --
One little sandpiper and I.

I watch him as he skims along
Uttering his sweet and mournful cry;
He starts not at my fitful song,
Or flash of fluttering drapery.
He has no thought of any wrong;
He scans me with a fearless eye.
Stanch friends are we, well tried and strong,
The little sandpiper and I.

Comrade, where wilt thou be to-night
When the loosed storm breaks furiously?
My driftwood fire will burn so bright!
To what warm shelter canst thou fly?
I do not fear for thee, though wroth
The tempest rushes through the sky
For are we not God's children both,
Thou, little sandpiper, and I?

— celia thaxter


linking with imperfect prose

22 comments:

Cathy said...

How very eloquent and very very lovely...

Loree said...

That is such a lovely poem and accompanied by such exquisite photos.

Kay L. Davies said...

Delightful, and perfectly illustrated. I love sandpipers. They definitely do flit, don't they?
— K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Nancy said...

I want to be a sandpiper! :)

beth said...

i love those birds. they kept me amused when i was in florida in january :)

B. Meandering said...

I love how you combined the photos with the stanzas. Great poem and great photos! :)

♥ w o o l f ♥ said...

such a melodious sound of words, this morn'. what a breakfast... ;)
n♥

Ostriches Look Funny said...

LOVE it. What a miracle of a bird, and I wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't mentioned it. It's too brown you know?

becky said...

Lovely pairing. I DO love our little sandpipers at the sea...and celia's poetry is perfect partnering.

alittlebitograce said...

Beautiful photos!

S. Etole said...

perfection ...

Claudia said...

oh such beautiful pictures...fly little sandpiper...we're sure all god's creatures

jane said...

so perfect... especially for the cold days we are having here...
xxx

Noelle Renee said...

My mother's favorite birds were the sandpipers. She used to watch them flitting over the sand on the beach and draw and paint them. I have a watercolor of them that I bought for her, hanging in my home. This is so beautiful Leslie. I adore these birds. Stunning images.
xoxo,
Noelle

emily wierenga said...

leslie, this was such a gift, tonight. thank you, friend. xo

keLi said...

loved this poem. and your photos, as always. :)

Tracy said...

They are such sweet creatures! I love shore birds best, I think...but then, I've long loved the sea. Such a treat to see lines by Celia Thaxter.
Lovely to be back and catching up with you here after our travels. I think we'll need the weekend to get over the jet lag and get back on track. ;o) Happy Weekend ((HUGS))

Joyce said...

I not only like the name sandpiper, but they really are a beautiful bird. Big hugs my friend. xo

lilylovekin said...

I love watching shore birds, they are so delicate in their step and always dance away from the waves so quickly. Have a great week-end.

ELK said...

they are the loveliest and busiest birds..I think the series with the poem is really pretty!

HisFireFly said...

rejoicing in His craetion - both the bird and you!

Kati patrianoceu said...

I love the sense of companionship in this... and beautiful photos to go with!