Saturday, August 6, 2011

royal terns


This trio cracks me up. 


The terns were quite unperturbed by my presence, and posed tranquilly for the camera. 
(Don't they look like jaunty old men with receding hairlines?)


The little guy is a juvenile (I think.) He stayed right by his elder the whole time - 
maybe he's not a teenager, yet? 


(Addendum: I now think the smaller bird is a Sandwich Tern. They nest with Royal Terns in Florida. I've been watching these birds every time I go to the beach, and I realized pretty quickly that the smaller terns were not juvenile Royals, but it's taken me a long time to figure out exactly what they are! And I'm still not 100% certain. I can't believe how difficult tern identification is!)


(You know the drill. Click here if you want to learn more.) 

7 comments:

Nancy said...

:)

ayala said...

:) Happy Day!

Michelle DeRusha@Graceful said...

Love your description -- they DO look like jaunty old men, don't they?

S. Etole said...

They look like they are standing at attention ... I enjoy your beach scenes so much!

Elizabeth said...

They do each look like they could have a personality.

Debbie D. said...

I'll never be able to look at a tern the same way again!...lol
Thanks for the visual :)

Deborah Carr said...

They do look like little old men (all with the same barber, apparently) facing into the wind. Great shots...love your preoccupation with birds!