Friday, March 16, 2012

andy warhol has nothing on me...




I call this, "Holy Planks," or maybe, "Hanging By a Thread."

What do you think?

This work of art was inspired by the pit bull puppy next door.  

Yesterday she and my little basenji decided to engineer a DIY project involving the wood fence that separates them. I walked outdoors late in the afternoon to see the pit's massive head sticking through an equally massive hole in the fence. The dogs were exceedingly happy with their accomplishment - me, not so much ... hence the temporary "planks" tied up with kitchen twine until my husband can repair it this weekend. The planks are old walkboards from my husband's days as a house painter, and once I got them up I was fascinated with the play of light and shadow on holes in the painted wood, and the bits of twine as accents. So there you have it. A chewed up fence as an opportunity for artistic expression. That's got to be at least as creative as a can of Campbell's soup, right?


Addendum: My husband just asked me if I knew where these walkboards came from. Apparently they were originally support boards for a pipe organ at an old church in our area. When the church was being renovated the pipe organ was removed (why?) and the boards were being thrown out. The holes made to accomodate the various pipes made the boards light, yet sturdy, so my husband re-purposed them for his work. And at the moment they are serving as fencing material. I'm about ready to make them a permanent garden sculpture at this point :) 

23 comments:

Ostriches Look Funny said...

hehehe. Awesome.

beth said...

oh but isn't it sweet that they want to be friends :)
xoxo

Debbie D. said...

I really wanted to see a pic of the head through the hole :)

Kay L. Davies said...

I agree with Debbie D. The holy planks are very artistic but dogs are...well, dogs, and nothing beats photos of dogs, especially when they've managed mutual mischief. What a fun story.
Luv, K

Kay L. Davies said...

PS — You're right, you've got Andy Warhol beat all hollow.
And won't Lady be a lucky girl when the puppy next door grows up and she has a pit bull protector?
K

Elizabeth said...

It's definitely a statement. :)

Jodi said...

Now that's my kind of DIY. love it.

Leslie said...

i promise if the dog sticks her head through again when we take the planks down, i'll try to get a photo for you all :)

becky said...

Well, you are an artist!!! Funny situation :) Bet your husband will love that little D-I-Y project!

Deb Colarossi said...

How clever you are ..!
I love the colours..
(and the persistence of the dogs)

Loree said...

You are so creative Leslie. I love these photos.

S. Etole said...

Creative expression at its best!

Jennifer Richardson said...

absolutely:)
I love the way
you look at things
...such an artful life
you create!
a most beautiful weekend
to you,
Jennifer

Glenda said...

You do have an eye for creativity! And sound like you're a pretty good "fixer-upper"! Love the pics!

emily wierenga said...

you are such an incredible artist, leslie!

emily wierenga said...

(truly)

amatterofhowyouseeit.com said...

Very cool and creative, Leslie.

Emily said...

I think they're beautiful! I love the story and the back story. You should definitely incorporate them in your garden!

Laura Delegal - Leroy Photography said...

Very creative, indeed. Your husband's find would be a great garden sculpture. Your story of the dogs made me smile too. Have a happy weekend.

♥ w o o l f ♥ said...

strange little yummy story, but a pitbull sticking through a fence, i'm not sure whether i'd be keeping my cool. but then, that's me...
n♥

Tracy said...

Oh, so sweet...Basenji has a friend! And LOVE the string art, Leslie! I'm liking the name "Hanging By a Thread." I'm a sucker for a good name. ;o) And for preference, I'll take your art over Andy Warhol's! Happy Week ((HUGS))

fuoriborgo.com said...

I love the repurposing, from church organ to walkboards, to fence!

Pierre BOYER said...

Interesting...

Pierre