Wednesday, March 28, 2012

on life and legends

we lined up like soldiers at the edge of the sea wall,
old, young and in-between, 
backs straight, eyes peeled, waiting.


we watched them come up for breath,
a trinity, then triple dive and disappear
only to resurface below our feet,
white dolphin bellies hurtling past 
like demigods, tracking the school of silver mullet,
mad with flight.


it was ballet, it was myth, it was war.
or was it rodeo? 
dolphin cowboys, corralling schools of flashing prey,
lassoing them with waves of ultrasonic sound —
swallowing the spoils.


i thought about mermaids, too,
and all the ancient lore spun
by mariners wandering those lonely seas —
and why not? 
the depths are mesmerizing, even for those of us
on dry land,
with kids and dogs in tow
and dinner to make
and life to face,
back home.


leslie young
© 2012

17 comments:

Glenda said...

Oh, this is wonderful . . . beautifully-crafted word pictures!

Jodi said...

I'm gaga over this!!!!!!!! And happy happy joy joy you signed it. The imagery made me feel it.

Kay L. Davies said...

So wonderful, Leslie. I'm so glad you had some happiness just now. I don't know how our internet connections will be next week because we'll be on a cruise ship. Won't be home until after Easter.
Meanwhile, enjoying warm (to us) weather in San Diego. Sigh. One of my favorite places.
I hope you stay well.
Love, K

Maryann said...

I can almost smell the salt air and hear the seagulls crying out...lovely

Joyce said...

so heartfelt and sweet. xo

PS magazine did ship so hopefully you will get soon. :)

ayala said...

Leslie, this is gorgeous!

Nancy said...

This is so special Leslie....Thank you

becky said...

I didn't know you wrote this 'til I reached the bottom...impressive! Have you published yet? (As in a REAL book?)

Tracy said...

Your poetry makes my heart sing, Leslie---I'm a big fan, you know! :o) Love those last words, especially tender...

"with kids and dogs in tow
and dinner to make
and life to face,
back home"

...mmm, yes... ((HUGS)

S. Etole said...

The ordinary waits in the midst of our delightful diversions. Wonderful wordplay here.

Loree said...

That's beautiful. Great work.

ayala said...

Love it, Leslie :)

DeborahJoy said...

I love this! All sorts of images popped into my head as I read your words X

beth said...

your words here touched me....and the ducky photos made me laugh. thanks for letting me hang out here for a few minutes and start my saturday with you!!...xo

Tiago Braga said...

Beautifull prespective, lovely =)

Wonder ...

♥ w o o l f ♥ said...

you see, 'mad with flight', keeps me enthralled. i'm sure james cameron could say a thing or two on depths... hee hee...
another depth, or shall i say heigth?
i dared nominating you over at mine's. now you could state five facts about yourself, if this moment grabs you. .. ;)))
n♥

Emily Young said...

white dolphin bellies hurtling past
like demigods, tracking the school of silver mullet,
mad with flight.

That is my very favorite line. You really captured the surreal feeling of watching them. I think this might be one of my favorite poems.