Monday, April 2, 2012

the playthings are getting dusty...




i feel this needs to be rectified.


... and now, according to my dear blogging friend nadine over at tinywoolf, i'm supposed to play the "name five things about you" game. since "playing" seems to be the subject of this post, i suppose i really should comply, even though i ought to be tackling the mountain of laundry that somehow appeared mysteriously over the weekend. so here goes:

1. i once played in a marching band. since my instrument of choice was the oboe (and take it from me, a double reed does NOT fare well on a march) i was a cymbal crasher when i marched. being somewhat small of stature, the cymbals were  a rather weighty undertaking for me (hence the crashing.) i was rather good at turning those square marching corners, though ;)

2. i hate spiders. especially big ones. i grew up in the woods, and somehow the giant, fuzzy spiders were always making their way into our house, particularly our bathtubs. just imagine my childhood self, happy with the thought of a bubbly bath filled with all manner of delightful floating toys, walking into the bathroom to face one of these gargantuan horrors. it was the stuff of nightmares, i tell you.

3. i lived in a christian commune in my early twenties. who would have thought, eh?

4. i used to be a cat person (that is to say, i preferred cats over dogs, as opposed to a person who owns 50 cats at one time.) then i married my husband and gave birth to a daughter, who both love dogs with a passion. so now i am more of a dog person. but i have the most cat-like dog you've ever seen ;)

5. i dream of travel to far off places ... so far this is still a dream. but some day it will be a reality...


(okay, now i think i'm supposed to nominate five more of you. but i won't.
you'll just have to nominate yourselves if you want to play :)


16 comments:

Elizabeth said...

A Christian commune? Oh, that deserves a post of its own!

Leslie said...

hehehe, elizabeth, i guess you're right ;)

Loree said...

I'm more of a dog person too :)

Jodi said...

I agree with Elizabeth. Do tell....

Nancy said...

Okay, the dusty playthings sort of made me sad. But then, thinking about you crashing cymbals cheered me up again. I played and marched with a flute, which was really kind of pointless because you can't hear a flute on a football field.

And I'm echoing the others in wanting to hear more about the commune!

S. Etole said...

What a fun way to get to know you a little better. And yes, the commune?!

Nancy said...

Now you have us all stirred up....we want to hear more....

emily wierenga said...

i believe you are a kindred spirit, friend. and i want faith like yours. the comments you leave on my blog always leave me reeling... such wisdom, in you. such God, in you. xo

angelina said...

spiders in the bathtub !@ the nerve of them ! I enjoyed your list leslie !
angela

becky said...

Funny! We have cymbals and drums in common. I marched the fields with the bass drum until the director got a bigger guy to take over for me...then I could to a snare or a tenor drum. Those were the days.

Rick said...

Nice of you to share some personal stories, Leslie. That commune must have been somewhere in Canada ... eh ?

amatterofhowyouseeit.com said...

Nice to know more about you, Leslie!

Emily Young said...

I bet you were a great cymbal crasher and very very good at turning square corners :) And I have been an excellent influence on you in the dog department.

Jennifer Richardson said...

love this!
you're easy to love too:)
-Jennifer

♥ w o o l f ♥ said...

i've loved every single word of your 'randomness'.
as usual, you make me smile.
the tiny in me says woolf, but that's another story!
n♥

Francesca said...

I don't know anything about christian communes in the US (or anywhere else) - but there are probably worse places to be in your early twenties!