Monday, December 17, 2012

thoughts on christmas and suffering.


This is about as much snow as Florida pine cones ever see.


Many of us don't even have a fireplace chimney for Santa. (But we still have milk and cookies!)


We do have beautiful birds though, visitors from more frigid climes...


... and the making of childhood ornaments goes on, even in places with more sand than snow.


This is baby Jesus in a manger made from a sea shell. I don't think he minds...


Like many of you, I've been overwhelmed by the tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary. We decorated our Christmas tree yesterday (late this year, because we've all been sick with the flu.) As I hung ornaments from various stages of my daughter's childhood, my thoughts turned to the parents who will never see their precious child's beautiful face again in this lifetime. I thought about the brave young woman, just a few years older than my own daughter, who gave her life so her students could live. There is no greater love. I don't have any wise words or answers to offer. Like many of you, my family and I are engaged in our own struggles to overcome the daily obstacles that life throws our way. But today, we have each other. I can hug my husband. I can hug my daughter. And so I will. Because this moment is all we have.


When you arise in the morning think of what a privilege it is to be alive, to think, to enjoy, to love ... 

― Marcus AureliusMeditations


11 comments:

Beth said...

Beautifully said, friend. Your ornaments are precious too. I giggled at your comment about the Florida pinecones.

I am home today from school due to a fibro warning to slow down and this was the only day I felt I could miss this week.

I too write somewhat about the Sandy Hook tragedy, although the gist of my post is kindness.
As I posted pics of my grandchilden, I try to wrap my head around what is going through those grieving granparents and parents and others and simply can't. It's something you can't fathom dealing with until you have no choice but to deal with it.

I pray you are all well for the holidays. I am gearing up for the kids and families being here next Sunday (Sara and fam. will be up for 4 1/2 days but staying with her dad who has guest rooms).

Rebecca Jerdee said...

Amen to that. We have no words these days...

Elizabeth said...

Beautiful thoughts --

Laura Delegal - Leroy Photography said...

Each year I hang ornaments from milestones through the years and am struck too by the senselessness of what happened. The sad thing is that we can never know the evil that lurks in the hearts of those who wish to do harm. We will never be able to protect them from those who hate.

Loree said...

I went from withdrawal, to anger, to silence and then tears.

S. Etole said...

I hope you will all be well enough to enjoy Christmas. Think of you often.

Audra said...

Yes, we have today. And those who've gone "home" ahead of us are forever in our future.

Leslie said...

Audra, I know that you and your family are intimately familiar with the grief the Sandy Hook families are experiencing. You lost your precious brother, too young. And though I will never understand why these things happen, I, along with you, believe and hope in a world beyond "this mortal coil," where death has been swallowed up by life and there is "no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away." I love your phrase, "forever in our future."

DeborahJoy said...

there are no words to adequately express the shock, sadness, bewilderment, horror, of what happened in Sandy Hook. Unimaginable grief and sadness.
Lord God - be close to us all today. We need you now more than ever. Amen

Laura said...

oh leslie... yes this moment is all we have. my eldest daughter is home from college (returned last evening)...and this was the courageous story that stood out for her too. We must always remember the goodness, the love in the world... even when we sit in darkness allowing ourselves to fully feel our sadness...the spark of light remains kindled.

bless you my friend. forgive me for not being by for a while... I think of you often, even when I don't write.

happy christmas to you and your beloveds.

♥ w o o l f ♥ said...

ah, aurelius.
a pillar in the storm.
devestating world news, he.
...
cheers for this attention.
n♥