Friday, November 15, 2013

ad infinitum



the clock ticks,
the dog next door voices his "let me in" bark,
and i sit here, as usual, ad infinitum,
with a cup of tea and a laptop and a window,
looking out.
today the sky is gray, yesterday it was sunny,
today the air is still, yesterday there was wind.
the pine branch that flamed so bravely last fall is sill there,
dead now—
a woodpecker investigates its rich, insect-ridden, hollow depths.
oak seeds litter the ground, the walks,
the chairs and picnic table in the garden.
the squirrels feast there daily, in spite of the dog
who once stalked them mercilessly
but now through deafness or benign neglect
simply watches.
we watch together, dog and i,
ad infinitum.


8 comments:

Jodi said...

I like this, Les. I hope all is well with you. xox

Debbie D. said...

Ah... you quite often cause me to google words/phrases...a teacher through your writings!

Beautiful imagery!

S. Etole said...

oh yes ... beautifully noted.

Becky Jerdee said...

Fabulous description of your day...yes, it was, indeed, a gray day today.

♥ w o o l f ♥ said...

a still, in time.
a you. very much so.
n♥

JoAnn Hallum said...

I love the part about the insect ridden tree branch and the woodpecker. I felt like I got a glimpse into woodpecker drama :)
Hope you are doing fine :)

Tracy said...

SWEET...so, simply sweet...*sigh*... Thank you for this shared moment, Leslie ((HUGS))

Jennifer Richardson said...

It sounds wonderfully relaxing.
I can hear the tick of the clock:)
-Jennifer