Thursday, December 5, 2013

does it count if i'm drinking english breakfast tea?


“In Ireland, you go to someone's house, and she asks you if you want a cup of tea. You say no, thank you, you're really just fine. She asks if you're sure. You say of course you're sure, really, you don't need a thing. Except they pronounce it ting. You don't need a ting. Well, she says then, I was going to get myself some anyway, so it would be no trouble. Ah, you say, well, if you were going to get yourself some, I wouldn't mind a spot of tea, at that, so long as it's no trouble and I can give you a hand in the kitchen. Then you go through the whole thing all over again until you both end up in the kitchen drinking tea and chatting. 

In America, someone asks you if you want a cup of tea, you say no, and then you don't get any damned tea.

I liked the Irish way better.” 

C.E. Murphy



10 comments:

S. Etole said...

This reminds me of our Scandinavian community here. If you're convinced it's no bother then it's okay to accept. Love your cup!

HisFireFly said...

ah, manners!
a lost art indeed

Loree said...

You know what? I used to find it so strange about Americans that you say no to something and they don't ask you again. here in Malta, people will ask you at least 3 times before t hey give up. I quickly learnt to say yes whenever I really wanted something and I was in the US :) Different cultures, I suppose.

Jodi said...

Me too. When I was little I would ask my Irish granny to put milk in my tea. She would say "no that's English"

Tracy said...

I love this, and I like the Irish way too! I could do with a cuppa tea now. ;o) Cheers, Leslie ((HUGS)) Your festive cup is so pretty!

Becky Jerdee said...

Now that's funny! Thanks for the laugh out loud!! I could actually hear myself chuckling :)

Rick said...

Well, I suppose (North) Americans are the embodiment of efficiency. No point wasting words or twisting arms if the question's been asked and the answer's been given.

But perhaps the Irish (and others) understand that there may be more to it than what at first appears.

Enjoy that cuppa, Leslie (but make mine an espresso - double, please).

ps - my condolences with your mother's passing this year, and sorry to hear about Lady's condition.

Beth said...

This gave me a chuckle! I do so love the Irish way---so much so I married an Irishman!:>)

Laura said...

it is a kindness to allow someone to do a kindness for us and so it circles round.

♥ tinyWOOLF ♥ said...

the irish way, or shall i just say, the anglophile way is relentless. i've had it happen to me, begging almost, until i agreed. i've even had it happen no tea at all was summoned, but the chat persisted.
it is so, so lovely.
and fancy you excerpting this!
n♥