Wednesday, January 29, 2014

randomness on the last wednesday in january




This is a random post about random things. It's almost February, and to me, February means Valentine's Day, which means hearts. Lots of hearts. That's thanks to my mother, I suppose, who was the queen of hearts, or at least the queen of holidays. The only reason she put her Christmas decorations away was to make room for Valentine's Day, which in turn gave way to Easter, 4th of July, and so on. You get the idea. So now that she's gone (but not forgotten), I seem to have my brain fixed on her holiday schedule. That's why I'm already thinking about hearts. 

Today is dark and misty, a rare wintery day in Florida. I'm enjoying it, but I know that many of you are really suffering in the horrible cold and ice, and I'm hoping and praying you're warm and safe, inside. I guess if you're reading this post, you must be. 

I read this poem today - it reminded me a bit of my childhood winters, in Illinois:

Ice
BY GAIL MAZUR

In the warming house, children lace their skates,   
bending, choked, over their thick jackets.

A Franklin stove keeps the place so cozy
it’s hard to imagine why anyone would leave,

clumping across the frozen beach to the river.   
December’s always the same at Ware’s Cove,

the first sheer ice, black, then white
and deep until the city sends trucks of men

with wooden barriers to put up the boys’   
hockey rink. An hour of skating after school,

of trying wobbly figure-8’s, an hour
of distances moved backwards without falling,

then—twilight, the warming house steamy   
with girls pulling on boots, their chafed legs

aching. Outside, the hockey players keep   
playing, slamming the round black puck

until it’s dark, until supper. At night,
a shy girl comes to the cove with her father.

Although there isn’t music, they glide
arm in arm onto the blurred surface together,

braced like dancers. She thinks she’ll never
be so happy, for who else will find her graceful,

find her perfect, skate with her
in circles outside the emptied rink forever?

6 comments:

S. Etole said...

Beautiful photos. Our mothers shared the same love of holidays it seems.

Becky Jerdee said...

I've been getting out the hearts, too. Loved the little ice poem!

Nancy said...

I love the colors in your captures and yes Valentine's is just around the corner....I always try to surprise my grandchildren so I must get my thinking cap on....

Tracy said...

LOVE the hearts! ;o) January has drifted by so quickly...I woke up thinking about Valentine's Day too! Sweet poem...such sweetness... So glad you shared it! ((HUGS))

beth said...

you know how i feel about random….perfection :)
xo

Loree said...

What a beautiful poem. We're enjoying a grey, rainy day today. It won't last but I am always thankful when the sun hides away for a while. The brightness can be too blinding at times.