Saturday, February 1, 2014

mum's the word


my shadow self peeks
at my child self.
child self looks back,
not comprehending all the years
that followed after five.
her eyes see only
a baby brother, born that year,
and a broken arm (and the favorite dress,
lost to the surgeon's scissors)
and the roller skates mom threw away
to keep her safe.
she thinks that's the worst she'll ever suffer.
she thinks that's the most
she'll ever love, or lose.
my shadow self knows different,
but she's not telling.






9 comments:

Nancy said...

Leslie, I so identify with this poem....Your words are powerful, true and run deep....

I hope you are having a good weekend and feeling well..

S. Etole said...

Oh, my. Wonderful.

Becky Jerdee said...



Self-reflection...good for the soul...








Laura Delegal - Leroy Photography said...

Love love it.

Loree said...

Oh Leslie that poem is so very beautiful.

Tracy said...

This speaks of so much, Leslie... *sigh*... ((LOVE & HUGS))

Jodi said...

You have great strength. <3

ayala said...

A powerful poem! I love it.

WordsPoeticallyWorth said...

An interesting piece that I enjoyed reading.

Thank you. Love love, Andrew. Bye.