Friday, June 13, 2014

on the beauty of darkness

Grief makes everything so dark and confusing. Sometimes it feels as though I will never have a free and happy thought again. And then this morning it rained, and I took these photos:



Do you see it? The way the darkness brought out the texture and pattern in the light? This morning I'm holding onto that. And this, too:

“So don't be frightened, dear friend, if a sadness confronts you larger than any you have ever known, casting its shadow over all you do. You must think that something is happening within you, and remember that life has not forgotten you; it holds you in its hand and will not let you fall. Why would you want to exclude from your life any uneasiness, any pain, any depression, since you don't know what work they are accomplishing within you?”   Rainer Maria Rilke



11 comments:

Memories Forever After said...

I love the fact that there is always something to "hold onto". I believe the "holding on" builds strength, buffs up our emotional muscles.
Thank you for sharing this beauty you have discovered this morning!

Debbie D. said...

previous comment from me, Deb D :)
I was logged into Mish's email acct so the comment was reflecting that :)

Beth said...

Love the pattern of light and dark---such a good illustration of life.
I like the quote too, although I think sometimes we would rather not 'grow within'. But we do anyway.
Glad you used your camera to cope with.
I'm mailing your pkg. today.

S. Etole said...

Such exceptional beauty drawing us in in the darkness.

Kay L. Davies said...

You are such a talented photographer, and perhaps using that talent will help you feel better. Although you will always miss your favorite photo subject, the pain is sure to lessen one of these days, and the memory is sure to grow sweeter.
Love, K

Becky Jerdee said...

I call these pictures little miracles!

lilylovekin said...

Leslie, I am so sorry for your loss. I do truly understand your sadness. To have been able to capture these lovely photos during this time of pain is certainly a tribute to the great amount of love that you felt with your Lady. Lorrie

Linda said...

I'm so sorry that you've lost your beloved companion. Sending my love.

Loree said...

Beautifully expressed sentiments. Everything in and around us has a lesson to teach us.

Tracy said...


Gorgeous, tender images, for a tender-heart time... And Rilke is a good reading companion at such times too. Life is so amazing--that even in our darkest moments, there is still so much light... ((LOVE & HUGS))

♥ tinyWOOLF ♥ said...

and this then, the power of light disques on the drakness of friday 13th... a thing to remember, then chuckle. n♥