Wednesday, September 3, 2014

morning walk and a little mary oliver

how grateful i am for freshly showered cosmos,


for crimson-beaked moorhens


and blanket flowers gone to seed,


for mallards with outstretched wings and marmalade feet,


for affable daisies


and the magic of garden starlight.

And because i can't say it better, here is the master at work:


"Heavy"
by Mary Oliver

That time
I thought I could not
go any closer to grief
without dying
I went closer,
and I did not die.
Surely God
had his hand in this,
as well as friends.
Still, I was bent,
and my laughter,
as the poet said,
was nowhere to be found.
Then said my friend Daniel,
(brave even among lions),
"It's not the weight you carry
but how you carry it -
books, bricks, grief -
it's all in the way
you embrace it, balance it, carry it
when you cannot, and would not,
put it down."
So I went practicing.
Have you noticed?
Have you heard
the laughter
that comes, now and again,
out of my startled mouth?
How I linger
to admire, admire, admire
the things of this world
that are kind, and maybe
also troubled -
roses in the wind,
the sea geese on the steep waves,
a love
to which there is no reply?


17 comments:

Debbie D. said...

Your words are so beautiful, along with your pictures....and as for Mary Oliver's words...I have read them over and over again and have found comfort and inspiration.

Becky Jerdee said...

Splendid words and pictures, thank you for the day brightener.

S. Etole said...

Beautiful post in your words and images and hers.

Loree said...

So many little things to be grateful for. Nature is made so wonderfully.

Beth said...

Wow! That is beautiful! And so very true. I hope you're hearing laughter escape your lips more and more, friend. :>)

ayala said...

Beautiful, you are beautiful and so are your words, photos and Mary oliver.

Laura Delegal - Leroy Photography said...

All of your flower photos make me happy -- bring me joy. :)

beth said...

marmalade feet….oh my gosh, i love love love that!

Elizabeth said...

I have never read that one -- my gosh, it's so profound. And your photos, as always, are sublime. They're like water in the desert, if I can use a cliche.

Tracy said...

Thankful for for the Mary Oliver... thankful for you magic in images & words... thankful for you, Leslie. :o) ((HUGS)) LOVE, love, love the light & shine in the last photos...*sigh*...

Rick said...

Photos that are a joy to behold (how did you 'shoot' that duck ?) and words that inspire.

A pleasure to visit here again, Leslie.

Jennifer Richardson said...

Oh friend, this is so deeply
and invitingly beautiful...I feel
folded into something safe and soft and strong. THANK you.
Lingering over every word,
Jennifer

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

Beautiful photographs and I loved your wonderfully descriptive words about the mallards with their "marmalade feet".

S. Etole said...

Thinking of you tonight and the words in the poem. Praying your heart will be lightened.

Laura said...

Sending you love through grief, fear, pain… your courage, your inner light, your gift for seeing and receiving blessing amid so many challenges lift my heart and strengthen me dear Leslie.

Kamana said...

when you start your day with such beauty, how can your day go wrong? lovely shots.

♥ tinyWOOLF ♥ said...

and then i see you, in my mind's eye, with your camera, looming up behind flora and fauna. :))) n♥