Friday, October 24, 2014

lanterns in the dark


It's been over a month since I posted here. I haven't had the heart, somehow, to put words and images together, at least in this form. Instagram, with its one photo, caption-or-don't-caption format, has been a less intimidating way for me to try to distill the droplets of goodness from each day - or maybe even to whine a bit, in a cool, hipster sort of way (although I'm not sure this 58-yr-old woman can really pull off a hipster vibe. Probably more of an aging hippie vibe, at best.) But today I am feeling sadder than sad, and wanting to remind myself that even now, even here, when I am sick and hurting and discouraged and generally walking around in the darkness that life has thrown my way lately, even here - there is light. 

I know you all have been going through your days as well, and I'm hoping they've been good. I'm hoping that you've laughed more than you've cried, that you've breathed in the scent of crisp autumn air and witnessed the bluer than blue October skies and held hands with someone you loved while doing it. But I know the chances are good that a lot of you have suffered at least some degree of pain, this month. Some of you might be having a hard time breaking through the fog of heartbreak or illness or loss. Some of you, like me, might need a reminder that the light is still there, waiting for us. 


So here are some images, to remind us both. That for an instant in time, captured with the click of a camera shutter, light existed. It shimmered. It danced. It burst forth with uncontained joy. And in that instant, the darkness was annihilated. So here's to those fleeting sparks of light. Here's to holding them forth, like lanterns in the dark. I'll swing mine, and you swing yours, and together we'll light each other's worlds, for a moment.


10 comments:

S. Etole said...

Thank you for sharing your light so beautifully. I think of the "luminous darkness" of which St. John of the Cross spoke.

Becky Jerdee said...

When you speak of light, you speak of hope. Keep on hoping, my friend.

Laura Delegal - Leroy Photography said...

Oh, Leslie, I feel your sadness (or maybe clouds). I'm so blessed but at time feel like I'm climbing a mountain that continues to grow under my efforts. Chin up my friend. Keep your eyes uplifted and I will lift you in my prayers. God bless.

Jennifer Richardson said...

thanks for sharing your honesty and light....beautiful both and the same:)
wrapping you in love,
Jennifer

Loree said...

That was such a beautiful post Leslie. And I am sorry that you are hurting. Hope you will feel better soon. Life can be too cruel sometimes. I am glad we keep in touch on IG.

Elizabeth said...

You are a generous and kind woman to find such light and show us, share it with us, despite your own pain and suffering. Thank you. May it all reflect back onto you and give you comfort and ease.

Tracy said...

THANK YOU for this light, Leslie... You are a Keeper of the Light. such beautiful magical light! I've been in need of light lately too. And due to things happening in life right now, I've found it hard, too, to piece thing together... the light is there, but I'm not stringing the light together as usual. This too shall pass, yes? ;o) I'm actually loving the idea of Instagram and consider using that for a while. But it is WONDERFUL of you to share your light, even in the midst of dark moments... Be taking good care... prayers to you... ((LOVE & HUGS))

beth said...

awww sweet friend…i'm so sorry to hear you're hurting again and that the darkness is wrapping you up….

i hope you know that so many of us are here for you..we truly are.

just call out my name…scream, complain, whine, cry….whatever you need to do…i'll come running!!!

i so wish i could come and give you a hug and then a shoulder to lean on….

xoxo

Debbie D. said...

Always focusing of the "lanterns in the dark"....thanking you for this reminder and praying that your lanterns shine brighter and brighter with each day.

♥ tinyWOOLF ♥ said...

an aging hippie vibe suits me fine, there is no age to being hipster. i'm glad those insta moments can cheer you up, it is all about capturing li'l moments. they make us pay attention, and the action does give us strength in all the moments we feel weak.

of course this is an old post, and of course time will come round again, but i was happy to find your presence in my post just yesterday. i was happy to find you. may the light, however li'l, always walk with you. x n♥